Header image  
Information portal of the North of Tunis  
line decor
en fr   
line decor

  
 

 
 

Cathedral of Saint-Louis

Photogalery of Carthage
Google maps: 36°51'13"N 10°19'23"E

The Cathedral was built in 1890 and is dedicated to St Louis of France (King Louis IX), who died here in 1270 during the siege of Tunis. The largest church in North Africa, it was until 1965 the seat of the Archbishop of Carthage and Primate of Africa. It belonged to the monastery of the White Fathers, a missionary order founded by Cardinal Lavigerie whose declared aim was the reconquest of North Africa for Christianity.

The White Fathers had established themselves on the Byrsa Hill in 1881, and in addition to their missionary work had begun to collect antiquities. Since 1964 the Cathedral is state property.

The catedral is 65 metres long and 30 metres wide.There is a quare tower at each corner.

Opening Hours

The museum is open daily daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. During summer time from 7.30 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Admission

5 TND

All information are subject to change.


 

 

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
More information available here link.

WEATHER
Actual weaher situation here link.

FLIGHTS INFORMATION
Current arrivals/departures to/from Tunis - Carthage International Airport. Check here link.
 

 
 
Webdesign: PJG
 
GAMMARTH WEB (c) 2008-2017,
All rights reserved