Header image  
Information portal of the North of Tunis  
line decor
en fr   
line decor

  
 

 
 

La Marsa

Photogalery
Google maps: 36°52'50"N 10°19'37"E
Population: 77.890 inhabitants

La Marsa (Arabic: المرسى‎ Al Marsa‎) is a coastal town in North-eastern corner of North Grand Tunis area.

marsa

History

The history of the city dates back to the Punic era where its roots belong to neighborhood of Megara, a suburb of the city of Carthage. In Salammbo, Gustave Flaubert did take place a feast hosted by Hamilcar Barca's soldiers. Due to its name - Marsa or Mers designating a port or anchorage - archaeologists have believed to able to locate the Punic ports of Carthage. But nothing has yet come to confirm the existence of a port in this location.

Shortly after the Arab conquest, it erects a ribat, where pious men stand guard and teach from the 12th century Sufism, and where some are buried famous marabouts. In the early 16th century, the sovereign Hafsid Abu Abdullah Muhammad al-
Mutawakkil chose this location for a summer residence and had built three palaces with a park located in center. Later, the residence of Abdalliya consuls of England before becoming the home of European guests to visit Tunisia. After the Second World War, the building served as a primary school. Today there is remaining only Abdalliya El Kubra, testimony Hafsid princely architecture, which houses a cultural center.

The climate combined with landscapes of rocky cliffs, pine forests and orange groves are a very popular place for dignitaries, scholars, citizens and artists who follow the family ruling. From the early 19th century, There are erected many palaces where they settled from May to September. Mohammed Bey built Dar El Tej in 1855 and during power of Naceur Bey, the Palace Essaada was built for his wife Lella Kmar. La Marsa became a power center during part of the year, the city attracts embassies and consulates in the center or along the coast in the direction to Gammarth, some enjoying abodes abandoned by Bey as the French or British representatives. Thus, the presence of Tunisian and foreign dignitaries contributes to the development of the locality.

On June 8, 1883, in this city were signed the conventions of La Marsa, they strengthen the control of French authorities on the young protectorate. La Marsa became municipality in 1912.

Best Touristic Attractions

How to go there

La Marsa is placed approximately 20 km to North from Tunis Carthage International Airport, 25 km to North from the capitol of Tunis. La Marsa is connected with the capital and major cities in the region by subway TGM and wide network of bus routes.


 

 

WEATHER
Actual weaher situation here link.

CULTURE
For more information visit the official website of Ministry of Culture and Heritage Protection here link.

FLIGHTS INFORMATION
Current arrivals/departures to/from Tunis - Carthage International Airport. Check here link.

MUNICIPALITY
For more information visit the official website of La Marsa Municipality here link.
 
 
Webdesign: PJG
 
GAMMARTH WEB (c) 2008-2017,
All rights reserved